City Of Schenectady Police Department
We are hiring and looking for new candidates
To be considered for employment you must meet the following standards:
- U.S. Citizen. and be a legal residents of Schenectady, Albany, Schoharie, Montgomery or Saratoga County.
- Uncorrected vision not worse than 20/200, provided there has been at least six months success wearing soft contact lenses. Without soft contact lenses, uncorrected vision cannot be worse than 20/100. In any case, vision must be correctable to 20/20.
- At least 19 years of age on or before the exam to be admitted to the written test. Appointment as a Police Officer begins when the candidate reaches age 20.
- Possess a valid New York drivers license, or ability to obtain one at time of appointment.
- Illegal drug use will be reviewed with respect to recent use, type of drug and frequency of use.
- Never been convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor. Involvement in past criminal activity will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
- Good character and reputation
- Civil Service Written Test (Date to be announced in the future): Candidates are required to register and to sit for a New York State Civil Service Test (location to be announced around the test date). This written test is approximately 100 questions designed to evaluate knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in applying written information, memory for facts and information, reading/understanding/interpreting written information, as well as preparing written material in a police setting. The rating key for this test is established by New York State Civil Service commission prior to the date of the test. A guide for this test can be found here. Parties interested in sitting for this exam are reminded they must register prior to the deadline. At least two months prior Civil Service will open online registration. When they do you will be able to register online: By Clicking Here!
- Canvas/Physical Fitness Exam: To qualify for the position after successfully passing the exam, candidates will be contacted via certified mail at the address provided to civil service. Candidates will then be asked to respond timely to the canvas indicating their interest in the position. After the department receives interested candidates forms a physical fitness exam will be scheduled and the date and location relayed to the candidate. The candidate will then be expected to arrive at the testing site to have their Muscular Endurance (number of bent leg sit ups performed in one minute) Upper Body (Push Ups tested without any breaks) and Cardiovascular Capacity (1.5 mile run, completed indoors scored to the second) tested. This test is pass fail, every element must be completed at or above the standard, standards for this test are available here.
- Application: After successfully passing the Physical Fitness Exam applicants are given a detailed job application. This application must be timely turned in for the candidate to progress any further.
- Initial Interview: Candidates will be called for an initial panel interview. Topics covered range from material in the application to candidates positions on relevant current events or community issues.
- Psychological exam: Written test and interview by NYS certified Psychologist
- Polygraph exam
- Medical exam
- Conditional offer of position