Historic District Commission
- 7:00 p.m.
- The Monday before the 3rd Wednesday of every month
- Room 209
105 Jay Street
Schenectady, NY 12305
*unless otherwise noted
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are posted approximately 1 week before each meeting. Minutes are posted once they are approved at the next meeting, usually about 5 weeks.
View Agendas and Minutes
The Historic Commission works to protect locally designated historic districts and landmarks and acts as a resource for owners of historic properties. Owners of properties that come under the purview of the Commission need approval to make changes to the exterior of their properties, in order to ensure that modifications are made in an historically sensitive manner.
View the section of the City's zoning code that pertains to Historic Districts and Locally Designated Landmarks.
Carrie Britt-Narcavage, Chair
Ben Wiles, Vice Chair
- Get financial help with fixing up your historic property! State and Federal Historic Tax Credits
- More financial resources for historic property owners. State and federal financial assistance for preservation work
- File for a Historic Property Tax Exemption. NYS Real Property Tax Law Section 444-a, City of Schenectady Property Tax Exemption for Alteration of Historic Property
- Review the standards on historic property rehabilitation. Secretary of the Interior's Standards and Guidelines for Rehabilitating Historic Buildings
- Learn about methods and materials used for rehabilitating historic properties from the National Park Service. Preservation Briefs from Technical Preservation Services at the National Park Service
- Learn about New York State-specific recommendations for historic rehabilitation. Technical preservation guidance from the New York State Historic Preservation Office (NYSHPO)
- Got a historic property that's not yet listed? Find out about the State and National Registers. Information about the State and National Registers of Historic Places
- Review the City's Historic District Ordinance. Chapter 264, Article X of the City of Schenectady Zoning Code