American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA)
President Joe Biden signed ARPA into law on March 11, 2021. The $1.9 trillion economic stimulus bill includes the $65.1 billion Coronavirus Local Fiscal Recovery Fund (CLFRF), which is direct funding for local governments impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The U.S. Department of Treasury is charged with administering the CLFRF. Under the CLFRF, the City of Schenectady is slated to receive $52,971,798. The City received the first half of these funds – $26,485,899 – in May 2021 and will receive the second half from U.S Treasury in May 2022. The funds must be obligated by December 31, 2024 and expended by December 31, 2026
- Support Housing Opportunities: Support programs that provide quality, affordable housing options and initiatives for rehabilitation of the existing housing to help stabilize neighborhoods and meet the needs of all residents.
- Expand Economic & Workforce Development: Assist small businesses and non-profit organizations located in the target areas to remove major barriers to the City’s growth and prosperity by supporting and increasing access through infrastructure upgrades and programs that provide training, technical assistance, and work opportunities.
- Strengthen Local Neighborhoods: Enhance community assets and advance cultural and recreational initiatives to engage residents, improve health, safety, and education, while creating jobs.
The City’s Five-Year Consolidated Plan proposes strategic investments to make a concentrated impact in key areas and address identified high-priority needs such as housing, youth engagement, workforce development, and public infrastructure. The five-year plan also builds off the City’s 2017 Community Needs Assessment.
For questions or additional information, please contact the City of Schenectady Department of Development at (518) 382-5199 ext. 5455, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Important Links:
- Community Survey Results
- ARPA Overview Presentation PDF
- Treasury guidance webpage https://home.treasury.gov/policy-issues/coronavirus/assistance-for-state-local-and-tribal-governments/state-and-local-fiscal-recovery-funds
- Interim Final Rule, including eligible uses https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2021-05-17/pdf/2021-10283.pdf
- Frequently Asked Questions https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/SLFRPFAQ.pdf
- ARPA Application Technical Assistance Slideshow